Please join our OB Town Council meeting on Wednesday, May 25th at 7:00pm at the Masonic Center (1711 Sunset Cliffs Blvd.) to discuss best practices in addressing criminal behavior and watching out for one another to increase public safety.
We’ll learn about OBMA’s Ocean Beach Security Program, which patrols the business districts of OB and work closely with SDPD to get positive results for the entire community.
After our meeting, we’ll receive a mini free self-defense class from Phillip Gordon, a local instructor of HARD TARGET Women’s Self-Defense Classes and Workshops.
Check out details on both these programs below.
The OB Town Council hosts public meetings on the 4th Wednesday every month except November and December. Regular speakers include local leaders, political, business and SDPD law enforcement representatives, as well as members from all corners of the Ocean Beach – all are welcome!
Since its launch in the summer of 2014, the OB Security Program has made an enormous difference in addressing the problems in our area. Our security team patrols, National Public Safety or NPS, in the business districts of OB. The security team and Ocean Beach MainStreet Association staff work closely with San Diego Police Department to get positive results for the entire community.
Some of their duties include:
- Assisting with crowd control during the Ocean Beach Farmers Market and other large events.
- Serving court papers, such as restraining orders, stay-away orders, or orders to appear in court.
- Responding to calls from merchants about loitering or other issues. NPS officers speak with the potential bad behaviorists, provide information on assistance, and escort them off the property if needed.
- Responding to calls from merchants about public intoxication. In these situations, NPS officers advise the person to have someone pick them up; if needed, SDPD is called for assistance.
- Serve as a deterrent to bad behavior, panhandling, and large gatherings blocking the public right of way.
The Ocean Beach MainStreet Association continues to look for outside sources to bring in extra capital to support the program. As a business owner and member of the Ocean Beach MainStreet Association you are invited to join the cause and sign up to help fund the program by completing this form and returning it to the OBMA office.
As a resident or member of the community, if you’d like to make a personal tax deductible donation, please contribute at the project’s Fundly page.
Thank you for your participation!
Vault Combat Arts Academy is offering new Women’s Self-Defense Classes and Workshops known as HARD TARGET.
- Discover how powerful you really are
- Prevent attacks with awareness
- Train in simple, yet devastating, moves
- Learn to control your fear and anxiety
With the rise of sexual predators, random ambushed assaults, abduction attempts and overall concerns for personal safety now is the time to take action and learn basic tools to help protect yourself and your family. “Hard Target” is a comprehensive, women-only course seminar that will begin with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance while progressing on to the basics of hands-on defense training. The combative material in class will initially be simple, immediate and effective movements. As a student becomes proficient at this we will learn gentler ways to effectively neutralize a less serious attack. Most predators look for the weakest victim. This seminar is an is an overview and designed to empower each person to gain the confidence, courage and self respect to protect yourself and become the hardest target!
This program is for Women over 18 years of age (mature teenagers may be eligible after consultation with parents), but other self defense classes are offered. Perfect for college students, waitresses/bartenders, and as general sexual assault prevention and education.
For more information:
Ph: 619 665 7677
Current Classes held at:
Tripower Yoga: 4976 Bacon Ave, Ocean Beach CA
Certified Dethkosin Muay Thai Instructor
Certified ITR Womens Self Defense Instructor